Legal aspects of the music industry
The music industry is one of the most important branches within the creative or entertainment industries that has undergone the greatest changes in recent years, encompassing various business activities that, in addition to being a very profitable activity, also presuppose a high-risk business. Although the covid-19 pandemic has hit this industry hard in recent years, there has also been a growth in the consumption of digital music with the increase in subscriptions to streaming platforms. According to the latest IFPI report, globally streaming has become the main source of income for the music industry during the last 12 months, estimating that in the United States alone the income generated by the digital music sector reaches 9.8 billion dollars during 2022 and reach 12.4 billion dollars by 2025.
Considering this changing reality and the numerous players present in this industry (authors, artists, managers, large and independent record labels, publishers, distributors, promoters, agents and agencies) it is important to have a course that provides the necessary tools to understand the various legal aspects involved in the music industry, as they are valuable intangible assets managed through intellectual property rights, especially through copyright and related rights and their various forms of contractual protection. All this without forgetting the aspects of music in the digital field, the associated disruptive technologies and the collective management of rights.
Although the course is specially designed for lawyers, it was also intended for musical authors and performing artists, with an international and regional vision of the issues that allows these music professionals to be guided in the analysis and resolution of the practical difficulties that arise in the music industry. Finally, the course emerges as a specialization and/or deepening of the successful first course of the ASIPI Academy on Creative Industries.
- Copyright Law
- Entertainment Law
- Aldo Fabrizio Modica Bareiro
- Mercedes Castells
- Offer a brief overview of the current state of the traditional and digital music industry considering its main players.
- Analyze the various aspects of copyright and related rights present in music as well as the most transcendental failures that defined its limits.
- Identify the main issues contemplated in musical contracting through the keys and principles of copyright applicable to this industry.
- Understand the main objects of agreement in the following typical contracts of the music industry: representation of artists, musical group, music edition, phonographic production, phonographic inclusion, integral or 360 contracts, musical execution, tours and merchandising.
- Recognize the challenges posed by the use of music in the digital field and the associated new disruptive technologies.
- Assess the importance and the need for adequate collective management for the benefit of authors and musical performers.
|Non member||US$ 450|
|Non members with partners in ASIPI||US$ 300|
|Class duration||2 hours|
|Number of modules||8|
|Period||March 22 - May 17|
|Schedule||Tuesdays from 4 to 6 pm (Lima/Bogotá)|